Skip to content

Bruins come back late to tie, win 3-2 in shootout over Jackets

March 15, 2011

The Bruins didn't come away with their prettiest win of the season but they did get the win when they needed it badly. (Getty)

The Bruins snapped their four-game losing streak with a 3-2 shootout victory over the Blue Jackets. The Bruins were down late but tied it up with a spectacular short-handed goal by Rich Peverley to bring the game to overtime. Tyler Seguin scored the game-winning shootout goal despite having the least ice time on the team with 9:57. Tuukka Rask played hero often for the Bruins, coming up with one of his better efforts of the season with a 34-save effort including a bunch of game-savers.

The Blue Jackets drew six penalties to the Bruins one but the Bruins stayed in the game with spectacular special teams play. It wasn’t the prettiest win of the season but it stemmed the bleeding when the Bruins needed points desperately.

The Bruins rustiness showed off in the first minute when the Bruins were called for too many men in a sloppy line change. Both teams came in with terrible power-plays since the trade deadline but the Blue Jackets peppered Tuukka Rask in the first minute of the power-play, getting him out of position and scrambling but couldn’t beat him in the chaotic moment. The Bruins killed off the penalty but the Blue Jackets did a good job of threatening early by swarming the net and battling out front.

Columbus dictated play through puck possession in the first half of the period, outshooting the Bruins 8-3 through nine minutes and keeping the puck away from the Bruins quite easily with the exception being the top line. The Bruins got a golden opportunity when Mark Recchi jumped on a loose puck that took a weird bounce off the boards, faked a shot then fired a pass into the crease. Nathan Horton couldn’t handle it cleanly and by the time he corralled it the puck was pushed aside. The Bruins did get a power-play off of the play that would last all of five seconds before Patrice Bergeron was sent off.

The Blue Jackets seemed to have the fresher and faster legs in the first period, taking it to the Bruins with rushes up the gut and constantly pushing the defenses boundaries. Just as it appeared that the Bruins were getting their legs under them the Blue Jackets took a lead when a Grant Clitsome shot from the point was blasted over Rask’s glove hand and in. The shot found it’s way through some traffic, Rask saw it but was hard-pressed to get his glove up in time.


The Blue Jackets threatened early on in the second, ringing pipe in the opening minute on a shot near Rask’s head. The Blue Jackets got the next power-play when Shawn Thornton was sent to the box four minutes in. The Jackets would maintain the puck in the zone for most of the power-play but never really tested Rask.

Zdeno Chara would score the equalizer more than halfway through the period when he blasted a shot past Steve Mason from the point. Milan Lucic did a great job of possessing the puck along the boards, keeping the play alive in the Columbus zone. Eventually the puck kicked out to a wide open Chara who stepped into a shot and blasted it through a screen. The puck seemed to deflect out front and was certainly helped by a David Krejci screen out front. Eventually, in the third period, Krejci would be awarded the goal.

Before and after the goal the Bruins had had the better of the play for most of the period, taking it to the Columbus zone and winning the puck possession battle, at least until the final few minutes of the period. The Jackets had some effective shifts late in the period, creating a lot of the chaos that they built up in the opening minuts of the game.

The Blue Jackets would earn another power-play with under two minutes left in the period when Matt Calvert drew his second penalty of the game with some flamboyant acting on a tripping call. The Bruins killed off the first part of the penalty rather well but the Blue Jackets would begin the third period with the remainder of their power-play.


The third period opened up as both teams were desperate for two points. Tuukka Rask came up with a huge save near the mid point of the period when he failed to poke check a puck out front and then made a huge glove save on the doorstep to keep it tied. Rask continued to look strong after that, especially with sustained pressure in his own zone but couldn’t make up for the Bruins crucial break down.

The Blue Jackets jumped on a Bruins turnover in which Scottie Upshall feathered a pass into the slot to — who then kicked to — on the left. Rask went into a split and made the save but the rebound kicked in between at least three Bruins and back to Upshall who potted the essential empty-netter. There were four Bruins in the slot or closer to the net but none did a good job of covering their man or locating the puck.

Nathan Horton was then sent off with under seven minutes left for holding the stick, a crucial penalty at that juncture. Rich Peverley would get the Bruins back even on the short hand with a sick individual effort for a well-timed short-handed goal. Peverley led out a 2-on-2 rush, criss-crossed with Chris Kelly, went backhand before cutting back in and beating Mason with a great individual effort from the center dot.

The Blue Jackets would nearly score on the next shift when Antoine Vermette tapped a one-timer under Rask’s splitting five-hole but off the post and wide. Krejci would get sent off for a cross-check with under five minutes later, giving the Jackets their sixth power-play of the game. Rask came up big early on the power-play, stoning Jakub Voracek on a nice post-to-post save. Rask would come up big again when Derick Brassard found a home at the doorstep, fanned then put a shot on goal. Rask went from post-to-post and covered up the effort, thankful that Brassard initially fanned.


The Bruins nearly scored early on in overtime when the Bruins top line created a turnover and got Mason out off his line but Columbus recovered and were able to keep the puck out. The Blue Jackets best chances came late in overtime when Adam McQuaid fell down on a 3-on-2, creating a 3-on-1 which Rask snuffed out. Immediately following that Tomas Kaberle stopped a puck on the line to keep the game going. After an exciting overtime the teams would go to the shootout.


Rick Nash went first, deked a ton then tried to go to The Forsberg but Rask kept firm on the post.

Tyler Seguin went next, deked and then went left to right quickly to beat Mason to the post.

Fedor Tyutin went second for the Jackets, came in slow but deked a lot before finally shooting high blocker side.

Patrice Bergeron had the opportunity to end the game with a goal, went backhand-forehand before slipping it under Mason. The referees raced to the line and it wasn’t sure where the puck was under Mason’s pads as he slipped into the net. When Mason released the puck was on the line.

Scottie Upshall went third for the Jackets deked backhand and went high but sailed it over the net.

The Bruins got the overtime win, snapping their four-game losing streak and will play the Predators Thursday.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: