Skip to content

Shea Weber blasts Predators past Bruins in overtime with 4-3 win

March 17, 2011

Former Montreal Canadien Sergei Kostitsyn continued to be a foe of the Bruins, scaring the Preds first goal of the night. (AP)

A night after scraping together a shootout win, the Bruins fell in overtime to the Predators by the score of 4-3. Shea Weber‘s one-timer on the power-play was the difference-maker. A few key defensive breakdowns once again proved costly for the Bruins despite another solid effort from Tuukka Rask. The Bruins inept power-play didn’t help things, going 0-3 including a five-minute major that went by the wayside.

The Bruins got out to an early lead when Tyler Seguin buried a shot from the right dot, beating Pekka Rinne high glove side for the goal just 1:50 in. Rich Peverley won the puck at the red line then played the puck indirect off the boards to Seguin. Seguin took the puck in stride and raced down the boards, backing off the defenseman before ripping the wrist shot.

The Bruins came out much sharper against the Predators then they did the game prior. The line combinations also seemed to have more chemistry and confidence with the puck. However, the Bruins couldn’t shake off the scrambled shifts in their defensive zone, leading to a responding goal by the Predators. After a shot on net got kicked out front the Bruins couldn’t make a clear and instead got all five defenders clustered together. The puck then kicked out behind the defense and Sergei Kostitsyn jumped on it and hammered through the mass of legs and past Tuukka Rask, who had no chance after getting himself well out of position.

The Bruins would get the first power-play of the game when the Predators got called for interference. The Bruins power-play looked woeful, failing to move the puck around in the zone, looking bewildered by an aggressive Nashville power-play. Nashville then took another high energy shift to the Bruins, getting them to scramble in their own zone again and eventually drawing a penalty on Adam McQuaid.

After a strong penalty kill the Bruins nearly took a lead when Milan Lucic found space on a 2-on-1 but was stopped by Rinne. The Bruins would soon after get a five-minute power-play when Seguin was hit with an elbow by Patric Hornqvist. Seguin went to the dressing room to get looked at. The Bruins nearly scored a few times in the first half of the power-play with David Krejci hitting the outside of the net, Lucic hitting the pipe, and Rinne making sparkling saves to keep the game tied going into the first intermission.


The Bruins couldn’t score on the five minute power-play, giving the fans a lot to cheer about and the Predators a lot of momentum in the process. Michael Ryder would go to the box for interference six minutes into the second period. To make matters worse, Daniel Paille went off for holding creating 40 seconds of 5-on-3 hockey for Nashville. The Bruins killed off the Ryder penalty and sprung Ryder as he left the box. Ryder snapped off a nice shot glove side low on the breakaway but was stuffed by Rinne.

Colin Wilson put Nashville back on top with a shot from the left wing that beat Rask blocker side. Colin Wilson got the defense skating back towards Rask and created space for himself, snapping off a shot on net. Rask went down in the butterfly but didn’t get the blocker out, yielding a usually stoppable goal.

David Krejci would knot the game up a few minutes later when he jumped on a rebound and put it in the open net. Nathan Horton kicked off the play but blasting a shot from the right side on a 3-on-2. Lucic drove center, taking the attention of the defense and Krejci joined the play on the left. Horton’s shot was kicked out by Rinne but kicked right to Krejci who finished the play off rather easily.

The teams played rather evenly in the last few minutes of the period and went to the second intermission tied at 2-2.


Patrice Bergeron would score his 22nd goal of the season less than two minutes into the period when he ripped a nice wrist shot high blocker side. Mark Recchi won a battle along the boards and found Bergeron in space and relatively uncovered. Bergeron took that time and space to rear back and fire a shot past Rinne who was too far back in his net.

The Bruins didn’t let the Predators create any momentum of their own, still working hard and creating rushes. Eventually, the Bruins got a power-play at 11:14 with the hopes of a goal as insurance. Just as the penalty expired the Bruins took an ill-advised line change leaving Martin Erat on a breakaway from the box. Erat was stopped on the initial try, then stopped the second chance before David Legwand raced in and lifted it over Dennis Seidenberg who was on the goal line.

The Predators would put some pressure on Rask and the Bruins late in regulation but Rask stayed calm between the pipes and made strong saves at the posts and in chaos. The Bruins would go to overtime for the second straight game.


The teams would go back and forth in the overtime, both teams needing points desperately. After some good looks both ways Steve Kampfer was sent to the box with 2:01 left in overtime, giving the Predators a 4-on-3 power-play for the remainder of the overtime.

Shea Weber would give the Predators a walk-off win with a blast from the point. The Predators would create a very tight box and worked in close with only three Bruins on the ice. They were able to move the puck fairly easily around the perimeter before eventually working Weber into the center of the zone. Weber unleashed his powerful slap shot on a one-timer beating Rask high glove side.

The Bruins will next play the Maple Leafs on Saturday.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: