Skip to content

Tim Thomas shuts out Canucks, Peverley scores twice in 4-0 win; series even 2-2

June 8, 2011

Roberto Luongo let in some soft goals tonight, lost confidence and was yanked in the third period. (AP)

Coming off of an 8-1 thrashing of the Canucks the Bruins carried momentum over to Game 4, winning 4-0 behind a 38-save Tim Thomas shutout and two Rich Peverley goals. Peverley filled in admirably for Nathan Horton on the first line and Michael Ryder did as well, potting a goal. Brad Marchand also had a goal, his second in the last two games.

The Bruins chased Roberto Luongo, who was less than good in Boston, on just 20 shots. Cory Schneider finished the game making nine saves and looking comfortable in doing so. The series goes back to Vancouver tied at 2-2 but momentum firmly in Boston’s hands.

The game started out noticeably chippy, especially on the opening faceoff between Ryan Kesler and Patrice Bergeron. The two were head to head on the draw and Ryan Kesler threw a cross-check after losing the draw before taking an open ice run at Bergeron seconds later. This lead to a few great checks early on in the game with Boston looking a little more comfortable in the first few minutes. The Canucks would get the first great scoring chance when a 3-on-2 broke down, both sides lost sight of the puck and the Canucks found it with all six Bruins out of position only to see a Henrik Sedin chance trickle wide of the pipe. Brad Marchand would respond on the next shift with a great individual effort that nearly led to a goal but his effort went wide after breaking down the Vancouver defense.

The Canucks would get the first power-play of the game when Michael Ryder was called for tripping when caught behind Kesler. The Bruins would kill off the majority of the penalty along the boards, controlling the Canucks options by being present on all of the battles along the boards and winning the majority of faceoffs while down a man.

Rich Peverley would get the Bruins on the board first when he got in on a partial breakaway and beat Roberto Luongo five-hole. The Bruins had a great breakout to David Krejci and Krejci poked the puck ahead to space with Peverley streaking. Peverley cocked, held and got Luongo to budge first then exploited the five-hole to give the Bruins the first lead of the game.

The Canucks first line would respond, drawing a penalty on Brad Marchand, giving them a chance to even up the score late in the first period with their second power-play bid. The Bruins killed off the second penalty better than the first, not allowing anything to get anywhere near Tim Thomas thanks to great pressure by the forwards. The Canucks lone shot came from outside of the zone as the penalty had expired. The Bruins would get a good chance at the end when Michael Ryder picked top corner, actually beating Luongo but getting denied by the post.


The Bruins began the second period with some determined shifts, most notably a long shift by Bergeron’s line that kept the Canucks defense on the ice for at least 90 seconds. The Bruins would carry play despite being heavily outshot aside from a few great shifts by the Canucks every now and then.

The bruins would get their first power-play 28 minutes into the game when Mason Raymond was sent off for high-sticking. The Canucks penalty-kill would resemble the Bruins’ at times, killing away from the net and using their forwards to put pressure on. Just like the Bruins, the Canucks would kill off the penalty fairly easily.

Michael Ryder would continue to pester Luongo when he scored a goal on a simple wrist shot on a 1-on-2. Tyler Seguin batted the puck across the zone during a change and it went right to Ryder. Ryder skated in from the left and then curled a shot off. The puck wasn’t particularly hard, or even labeled for a corner but snuck past Luongo’s glove, handcuffing him deep in his cage.

Right after the goal the team’s would skate 4-on-4 when Andrew Alberts and Peverley got coinciding penalties after a hack fest. The Bruins would outplay the Canucks on the 4-on-4 and got a rare 4-on-4 goal when Brad Marchand beat Luongo out front with a backhanded roof job. Keith Ballard lost the puck behind the net and stayed on the ice, thinking he was hooked down and baiting the referee for a call. Just when he got to the ice Bergeron fisted the puck through his legs and Marchand quickly deked and roofed on the doorstep.

The Canucks showed life after the third goal, pressuring the Bruins in the Bruins zone with reckless abandon, eventually drawing a delay of game penalty on Johnny Boychuk. The Bruins would kill off the first 1:11 of the penalty but the Canucks would have the second half on fresh ice in a must-score situation.


The Bruins would kill off the 49 seconds going into the third period and get a fortuitous power-play of their own when Henrik Sedin was sent off for slashing as Peverley was already falling to the ice. The Bruins had some good pressure on the power-play, especially in the first minute, but Luongo came up huge making pad saves on shots from the slot area. The Canucks would get some chances of their own on the shorthand but nothing came of it.

The Bruins would score their fourth goal, Peverley’s second of the night when an outlet led to Milan Lucic beating Kevin Bieksa with a nice self pass and jump before fisting a backhanded pass to Rich Peverley. Peverley was battling for positioning out front and the puck deflected off of him and in. The goal chased Luongo after giving up four goals on just 20 shots.

The Canucks would switch up their lines looking for anything to hang their hat on and the team responded well, especially the grinding lines that got more shifts than usual. With the Canucks pressing the referees seemed to swallow their whistles, at leas on one side. Mark Recchi would be sent off for a weak high-sticking call when he finished a check and his shaft grazed Bieksa, embellishment helped out the call. The Bruins would nullify the majority of the penalty before Kesler would get sent off for a slash out of frustration. The Bruins wouldn’t do much of anything on the power-play, nor did they really need to.

The Bruins would get another power-play with a little more than five minutes left in the game on another frustration penalty by the Canucks. The Bruins put a new-look power-play out there, not playing their top players much, and came away without a goal but bled another two minutes off the clock.

Just after the penalty expired things got wild for the first time in the game. Brad Marchand was sent off after a deke around a defender was ruled illegal as Marchand dragged down the defender. Daniel Sedin continued on his path to Marchand and as he touched the puck Marchand ducked, table-topping Sedin and drawing the ire of the Canucks. After a fairly large skirmish the Canucks would get a man-advantage and pull their goalie, effectively making it a 6-on-4 power-play for the rest of regulation. It was a no-loss scenario for the Canucks who were clearly looking to solve some of their power-play problems.

Things got weirder during the power-play as Alex Burrows and Thomas dropped the gloves in the paint. Thomas retaliated to a Burrows slash of his stick by chopping Burrows in the leg, Burrows reacted by shoving the goalie and the two went at it before being quickly separated. The infraction didn’t lead to a further deficit in man power just a continuation of the game after a quick talking to by the referees. The Bruins would kill off the rest of the game preserving a well-earned shutout for Tim Thomas, tying the series at 2-2 in the process.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: