Skip to content

Bruins explode for four in the first, chase Luongo and get 5-2 win in Game 6

June 13, 2011

Roberto didn't much like it tonight. (AP)

In a win or go home Game 6 the Bruins exploded on Roberto Luongo and the Canucks for four goals in a five minute span in the first period before taking Game 6 5-2 and forcing a decisive Game 7 in Vancouver. Mark Recchi had three assists, Tim Thomas had 36 saves, and Tomas Kaberle and Michael Ryder added two-point nights in the victory. Roberto Luongo was pulled after giving up three goals, two of the soft variety, on eight shots. Cory Schneider played well in relief, making 30 saves, many great ones.

In the first minute play was stopped when Mason Raymond was taken out of a play in the corner by Johnny Boychuk on an awkward physical engagement. Raymond stayed on his stomach as the trainer came onto the ice. Raymond eventually was helped off the ice by his linemates and helped gingerly down the tunnel by staff.

When play resumed Henrik Sedin and Zdeno Chara were sent off when Chara was called for interference and Sedin was called for diving behind the Bruins net. The teams would go on to skate 4-on-4 and the Bruins would get their first sustained possession after an early shift for the Canucks almost netted a goal by the Canucks.

Brad Marchand would score the game’s first goal on a quick breakout by Dennis Seidenberg‘s chip up the boards. Seidenberg’s chip to space hit Marchand in stride. Marchand raced up the boards and curled off a wicked wrister top corner glove side beating a helpless Roberto Luongo. Just a few shifts later Milan Lucic would ad to the lead when the Canucks got caught in a bad change, creating a 3-on-2 for the Bruins. Rich Peverley would create a drop pass to Lucic who then had space to cock and fire and then beat Luongo five-hole on a squibber for the early two-goal lead.

Peverley would beat out an icing a few shifts later and get boarded by Alex Edler in the process, getting the Bruins their first power-play of the game. Andrew Ference would get a shot off a play off the faceoff and beat Luongo for a third goal that would chase the Vezina finalist less than 10 minutes into the contest. Ference’s shot was good and low and benefitted from a Mark Recchi screen but Luongo got caught sliding to his left for no good reason, making for an easy goal.

Cory Schneider would get put into the fire when a Tomas Kaberle shot from the point was tipped up and in by Michael Ryder. Kaberle got the puck and fired a rare one-timer towards goal. At the same time Ryder went across the net without much hindrance and tipped it home with his shaft, Schneider didn’t have much of a shot at all.

The Bruins would get a second power-play when Ryan Kesler took a frustration penalty and the Bruins power-play continued to look decent but yielded no results. Tim Thomas would come up huge against the Canucks first line late in the period, stoning multiple chances on the same shift with the Bruins defense scrambling in their own zone and some nifty passing leading to Grade A scoring bids.

The Bruins would get a third power-play with under three minutes left when the Canucks were caught with too many men on the ice, a sign of confusion. The Bruins had a good power-play going, filled with movement high and low but couldn’t find that final pass. As the penalty expired Jannik Hansen had a breakaway, went right but Thomas covered the post on his stomach and Hansen hit the outside of the net.


The Canucks would get their first power-play of the game when Patrice Bergeron was called for goalie interference in the opening minute of the second period, appearing to shake up Schneider but the BC product would stay in. The Bruins were lucky to kill off the penalty with the Canucks pressuring often, even hitting a pipe and Chara making a save with his stick on a Kesler rebound bid. The Canucks would soon after get a 2-on-1 but Victor Oreskovich couldn’t settled the puck and the bid went to the end boards.

The Bruins would respond with good spurts of play but the Canucks carried play more often in the first half of the period, the Bruins looking sound to play defensively and counterpunch. Bergeron would be sent off for a wishy-washy interference call during a battle with Kesler, a call that probably should haven’t been called. The Bruins would respond with a great kill, getting better pressure on the Canucks goal than the Canucks did to the Bruins during the two minute span.

Patrice Bergeron would be sent off for a second time in the period when he was called for elbowing. The Bruins would kill off the first half of the penalty but the Canucks would carry most of it into the third period on fresh ice.


The Canucks would start with over a minute of power-play time and Henrik Sedin would get a quick goal. Sedin raced down the left side before slinking back towards the middle, going backhand and beating a diving Thomas with a roofed backhander. It was a great individual effort by Sedin but was allowed because of a breakdown in the neutral zone by the Bruins, leaving Henrik with a lot of room to roam.

The Canucks would then respond with some great shifts and thought they had a second goal when Hansen ripped one off the far post. Hansen and the Canucks immediately celebrated, leading to a rare stop in play with the referees unsure. After a quick look it was deemed that there was no goal but the Bruins had a lot to worry about after a great few opening minutes by the Canucks.

The Bruins would get a power-play when Raffi Torres was sent off for tripping. The Bruins would get a 4-on-3 when Andrew Alberts was sent off for interference when he took down Tyler Seguin on a net drive giving the Bruins nearly 75 seconds of a two-man advantage. After some very good saves by Schneider the Bruins would get a backdoor goal when David Krejci potted a goal off an across the crease pass by Recchi. After the goal both Bergeron and Alex Burrows would go to the box after slashing each other but the Bruins would retain the rest of their power-play. Nothing would come of the remainder of the power-play.

Mark Recchi would get sent off for tripping with under nine minutes left, giving the dynamic Canucks power-play another chance. The Bruins would stop that power-play as well with Thomas freezing rebounds and the Bruins defense making several clears.

Max Lapierre would score an essential empty-netter with under three minutes left when Daniel Sedin got a pass out front, Thomas bit, and Sedin fed it back against the grain to Lapierre who potted the easy one. Brad Marchand nearly got a sixth Bruins goal on a 2-on-0 but Schneider made a big save, then corralled the rebound in a scrum, leading to some pushing and shoving. Max Lapierre would be sent to the room and Krejci would be sent to the box. At the same time the Canucks would pull their goalie with 90 seconds left making for a 6-on-4. Dennis Seidenberg would be sent off for a cross-check creating a rare 6-on-3 man-advantage. Nothing would come of that and the Bruins would put an exclamation on the win by keeping the puck out of the net. The Bruins and Canucks would battle for it all in Game 7.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: